Buying a home and moving is a very busy time – so many things to remember. Use this checklist to jog your memory. Add your own personal list of things to do. Check off the items as they are completed.
Booking the movers
- You may decide to move yourself or use moving company. You can choose to have the movers pack everything, pack just the breakables, or you might pack everything yourself. You may want to obtain estimates from several moving companies for comparison. Be sure to make arrangements well in advance.
If you own your present home
- Ask the gas and electric utility companies to read the meters on the day you leave and forward the bill to your new address.
- Ask your heating oil supplier to fill the oil tank before your sale closes.
- If your water heater is rented, arrange for the transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Arrange for the disconnection of your telephone and cable.
If you rent your present home
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of your security deposit.
At your "New" home
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone and cable to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Prepare a list of friends, relatives, credit card companies, suppliers of services and others. Get "Change of Address" cards from Canada Post and send well before the moving date.
- Arrange with Canada Post to forward mail to your new address.
- Cancel any pre-authorized cheques for contracted services.
- Inform gardening and dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, news-papers and magazines, and other home services and arrange for service at your new address.
- Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities: establish new accounts with a letter of introduction.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for the transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Arrange for the cancellation of property insurance on your present home; arrange for insurance on your "new" home
- Change the address on driver's licenses effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage - fur coats, dry cleaning, laundry, watches, shoes or small appliances.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids including gasoline used in gardening and recreational motors. (It is illegal for movers to transport them.)